Sunday, May 10, 2009

Saturday
Today's long run began outside Geraldine and Gary's home at 6am. They were very kindly hosting a Comrades breakfast send off and run - due to start at 7am - but we needed a few more KMs for the marathon programme. Viv, Kate and I set out in the dark and instantly I could feel the massage from Friday; it was going to be a long, long day. The company was wonderful and kept me going pretty well, then at 11km we met up with the 7am crowd - Jane, Rich, Ali and a bunch of others, plus the speedsters who we saw fleetingly. Again, the company kept me going for a while and at 13.5km I had my first gel, which gave me a quick lift. But at the top of Malcolm street I had terrible stomach pain, most likely a cramp and struggled for the next KM. After that, I started to feel a little better and enjoyed the run through King's Park. We stopped on Mounts Bay Road and I began to cramp up with the stop and just could not get the flow back again. Grabbed a quick water and some of Kate's gatorade powder - thanks Kate, to the rescue again :) - and put my head down for the last 5 or 6km. It was all I could do to keep going, so I avoided the next water stop (I think I'd have had to be carried back after that and I couldn't find any volunteers :)
The breakfast was wonderful and very social. It's a fantastic morning and all credit to Gary and Geraldine for inviting so many people to their home. It's one of those events you really want to be around for.

No comments:

Post a Comment