Sunday, May 3, 2009

Saturday May 2
On a chilly, autumn morning I made my way up to Darlington to join a large group of fellow runners on a gorgeous little run (34km) up the pipeline to the Discovery Centre then along Munda Biddi track, back to the Heritage trail at Mundaring and then the 9km from there to the bakery in Darlington. Running conditions were perfect and the company was fantastic. A hiccup with my fuel belt, which kept coming off, was the one negative, but the kindness of my fellow runners who helped me redistribute my stuff and even carry the offending fuel belt back, was just amazing. We went at a nice, gentle pace and took many stops to regroup and have a drink or a gel. Foolishly, I'd forgotten to eat in the morning (my brain has not returned to normal with the jet lag) and I found the last 9km a real slog as the fatigue truly set in, but I made it without giving in to the desire to walk, thanks to Kate who really kept me going at the end. We finished with a stretch and breakfast and teas/coffees at the bakery - the nicest way to finish a run.

No comments:

Post a Comment