Sunday, May 17, 2009

Saturday May 16
I've been looking forward to this run all week - a real adventure. I set off just before 6.10am for Trigg where I was meeting Kate and Rod. We left my and Rod's car at the finish, mine full of bags for the other finishers with changes of clothes, etc., and hopped into Kate's car for the ride back to King's Park, where we were meeting Viv, Gina (who was joining us for the first 13km) and a runner called Cathy, whom none of us had met before. After a pit stop, we were ready to set off. It was a very chilly morning, especially in the park and I was struggling to feel my fingers, but I knew it would warm up soon enough. We left the park via a sandy trail that heads towards Poole Avenue, down under the bridge that leads to UWA and onto Mounts Bay Road. The warm air off the water collided with the cold air from the park, so temperatures fluctuated. Aside from noisy traffic, it was lovely along the water. We kept going straight to the Swan Bells then turned left up Barrack Street and left again onto St. Georges' Terrace. We kept going without stopping, which was great as my legs felt fresh and I do find too many stops just leave me feeling stiff. It was quite a lot of fun running through the city, though I was glad it was only a short part of the run. We headed up Malcolm Street, left into the park and along the front, taking in the rollercoaster and the gorgeous views across the river. Heading back up the same sandy path to bring us back to Zamia's we were now well and truly warmed up. We were almost 13km into our run and this was where we were leaving Gina and picking up Jo and Damien. Time for a Gu, some water and a quick stretch and we were off again, up the grass in Synergy parklands to Lovekin Avenue, along the road to Fraser Ave, then along that road to the edge of the park, where we turned left to head to the north west corner of the park and ultimately out of the park. Here we picked up the City to Surf course, running along the road (though on the path this time -for some reason the city hadn't closed it especially for us!) towards Hay Street, up the steep Underwood and to Perry Lakes, where the speedy Jo and Damien were waiting for us. Another Gu and stretch and we were off again, up Reabold Hill, where a blister decided to make itself known (ouch) and down to City Beach. I'd considered dealing with the blister there, but decided it was best to leave it as it seemed to have settled a bit. From there we headed up the coast back to Trigg. At Scarborough, we parted ways with Cathy and Viv who were both stopping there run there, and struggled the final 3km back to Trigg. Again, Kate kept me company along those last tough KMs and kept me going. She really is a great running mate! We saw the Trigg cafe ahead and pushed on with renewed enthusiasm. A swim in the ocean and breakfast awaited after all. Despite being mid May, it was glorious in the ocean, a perfect end to a fabulous run. All showered and changed, we headed for the delights of brekkie and coffee. I can think of no better way to spend my day. We really are so incredibly lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment