Sunday, June 7, 2009

With the biggest day of the marathon programme dawning, I'd be lying if I didn't admit to being a little apprehensive. Saturday began very chilly, but with very little wind, which was blissful. We had a lovely big group for our run and began very jauntily. But I think most of us were a little nervous and we were quieter than usual (mind you, with those pipeline hills talking is quite an effort!). I felt pretty good along most of the pipeline though the road up to Jacoby Park was a haul and when we hit the short steep climb that takes us in the direction of the Discovery Centre, it was time for a bit of a walk. Another KM or so further on and we were at the Discovery Centre - 17.5km, but still not quite halfway into our run! The water stop and second Gu were most welcome and best of all we got to regroup. We all left together again, though with the stop I did find it hard to get moving again. I was running okay, but there was no chance of getting any pace so I stayed at the back of the pack. I was also worrying a bit about the big hill coming up as it was one I'd never done before.
Nicknamed Ian's hill, the climb up to Sawyer's Valley is long and pretty steep, though the gradient is reasonable enough to be able to run it the whole way. I was so happy with how I managed this one - so much better than I had imagined. It is relentless, but I found by keeping my head down and just focusing on the steps ahead of me I could keep going without a break. I made it to the top and the water towers and felt overjoyed, until I saw the big dip and another rise. Kate said the next hill went very quickly and she was spot on - nothing like the previous hill. At the top we were at the road and a short way down to the store where Kate, Viv, Trish, Jody and I stocked up on coke, gatorade and water (the others kept going - they don't know what they were missing). I hate coke, but today it was wonderful! A few belches later and we were on our way, across the road and to the entrance of the Heritage Trail that would take us back (in another 13-15km) to Darlington. Again, there was no way I could muster any speed - the long stop just causes my legs to cease up and refuse to do any pace, but as long as I went along steadily I felt fine. Viv ran with me to the statues. Kate, Jody and Trish were just up ahead and taking a gel and a stretch. This would be our last push - 9.2km to go!
Viv must have taken her Weetabix today, because she took off down the hill with Jody (and I heard did another KM or so beyond the finish!). Kate, Trish and I decided on a more leisurely return. At Glen Forest (about 3km from the finish), Trish was looking strong and kept going. I had a cramp in my quad so needed a short walk and refuel on Gatorade. Kate really kindly walked with me - she's such a champ. We kept the walk short, just to the little bridge, so about 150m, then got going again. It was good to walk rather than stop - that seems to work better for me. The last few KMs were just a matter of mind over matter. I wasn't sore or cramping, just tired. We both felt that way and got one another to the finish. Just 200m from the finish, we came across the most gorgeous horse. I was thinking it might be easier doing this on horseback! We got back to the tree for a hug, some liquids and a stretch. What a gorgeous run - really tough. We were just 4km or so shy of the marathon and on a much, much tougher course. I think we'll survive okay.
(addendum: Sunday I've pulled up okay, aside from a really nasty blister. I'm hoping by Monday it will be okay for a run, though I have a feeling running on it will probably toughen me up, so I'd best just get out there. Four more weeks to go ...)

No comments:

Post a Comment