Friday, June 12, 2009

No sooner were the blisters more or less healed then a new and bigger problem emerged. Wednesday evening during a daily park visit with Sugar and our dog Zoe, I was taken out by two dogs. They had been very exuberant and I was really concerned. I saw them head out wide for a big run but there was no way of working out there direction until it was too late. They hurtled into me, threw me in the air and I landed flat on my back. Because I am clearly not sane, I decided to try a run the next day. Surprisingly it wasn't too bad. The first couple of KM I was a bit sore, though no worse than just standing so I decided to keep going. Pace was a bit of an issue and even though we were warming up, I just couldn't hold onto Viv and Trish until we were about 2km into the run, then I managed to catch up and everything started to feel better. After 3 1/2 KM we began our tempo. I managed 45 minutes of this (with one quick stop for a Gu and some water as carrying a bottle or belt today was not an option), then a cool down with Viv, who had caught me after a quick bathroom break. I did cut it a bit short, choosing the 14km instead of 15.5km, but I think I can give myself a brave medal. I'm so pleased this worked out.
The best part of this was my better half. Sugar, being the best spouse any girl could ever ask for, got out of bed at the ungodly hour of 4.45am, loaded up his bike and cycled alongside me (shivering all the way but never complaining). I'm lucky in many, many ways. The dog accident could have been a lot worse, I ran okay if not fabulously, and Sugar is a real Honey :)

No comments:

Post a Comment