Tuesday, June 16, 2009

After a quiet, exercise free Friday, Saturday was set to be the last big long run leading up to the marathon. We had a large gathering at Zamia's at 6.45am -- Kate, Trish, Viv, Mary-Anne, Rod, Paul, myself and for part of the run Delia. There was much energy to be had and most of the group were soon doing a cracking pace - drawn on by the speedy Delia and perhaps eager to try out marathon pace. Kate and I decided a marathon-paced run just three weeks out would be a bad idea so we enjoyed a more leisurely pace. I felt okay until we got to Applecross and then the concrete was really jarring on my back. After a short detour to find some facilities (Heathcote is quite a climb and we had to beg them to open the toilets) we continued but I was less than keen to do 32km as I was hurting a lot by now (about 13km into the run). I suggested to Kate I would turn around at 15km and she very kindly agreed that would be fine for her. I think we were both massively relieved when the Garmin said 15km. At this stage the rest of the group (minus Delia who had left us at 11km and Rod who turned around at 13km with heel/Achilles pain) were still out on their 32km. We stopped for a water and gel at the Applecross tennis courts and the others caught up with us. It wasn't long, however, before they were off again. We shrugged and carried on at our steady pace. Even so, this was a really tough run. At the Narrows we had a water stop and when I suggested I would walk up the bridge (by this time hills were really hurting my back), Kate was more than happy to agree. We ran again come Mounts Bay Road but as we neared Kings Park Road (a shorter return) we both agreed we'd had enough. A short walk up the steep hill then a run along the road and down a little short cut and we were back at Zamia's. Boy was that sign a fantastic sight and never was breakfast more enjoyed.
I was really sad that Trish had had a battle at the end and was worried about what it meant. To be honest, I wasn't too concerned about this being a tough run - it's at the end of a very long, tiring programme (just a week after our epic 38km) and I know the taper will take care of the weariness. We just have to trust in the training. Now all I need is for the back to heal and the blisters to stop popping up!

No comments:

Post a Comment