Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Wednesday April 15
It was a real effort getting out the door today given the weather outside - cold, wet, grey - but I reminded myself how awful treadmill running is and how impossible it would be to do an interval session on it and headed out the door. And really, it wasn't as bad as I'd imagined. Yes cold and wet and grey, but you soon forget that when you're running and have warmed up. I did another Mona's session today - a lot easier when there's no track to run on. Same session as Kate and I did, but without the great company. I was happy with the effort, though. One thing that really strikes me here is how unfriendly the runners are. I'm so used to runners greating one another - here they avoid eye contact and if you great them they look at you like you're crazy. One older runner greated me and the other day a couple of female runners said hi, but mostly it's scowls. I'm not sure if they're sick of the weather, miserable because of the economy, or just big city grumpy (not that Philly is that big a city). It surprised me because the Philly runners group is so friendly. Maybe it's just a security thing - fear on the nutty girl who smiles at everyone. I will try to be more serious out on the trail, but just while I'm here.

2 comments:

  1. Am I the 'older' runner you're referring to, because I know for a fact that I said hello...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you were the grumpy b****ger! No, there was another older runner - as in 60s. You're weathered, but don't quite look 60 yet :)

    ReplyDelete