Friday, April 17, 2009

Friday April 17
Long run day today and it was a perfect morning for it. My legs felt fatigued after a week of running without any days off, so tomorrow I've earned a breather. Nevertheless, it was a glorious run. To spend more time in the park and on trails, I caught a taxi to a point further up on the path I've been running all week. It was then a short 3km to Wissahickon park - 2 to 3km on a lovely, quiet bitumen path running alongside a creek, before turning into the park and running on a wide, graded dirt road. What a stunning spot - if I lived here I'd have to live near this park and run it everyday - beats running alongside a busy road, pretty though that other run is. I ran along this path for around 5km then turned back and back along the bitumen path, before crossing a road and heading back along the busy Kelly Drive that has been my haunt these past seven days. It turned into a total of 27.25km - it might have been .25km more but I stopped at the Starbucks at the corner for a much needed cup of tea. I got some very funny looks in my shorts, sweaty top, peak and fuel belt, but I needed caffeine badly enough to ignore this. The last 8km were tough and the last 4km really tough, but I was happy to see my pace was pretty constant even when I was getting tired. It was only in the last 2km that I slowed a bit, due in large part to being back along the road and having to stop for cars frequently (how inconsiderate - don't they know runners come first!)
Tomorrow we head for Boston, for the very exciting marathon that Sugar, Sas, Biscuitman, and Terrific Terry are competing in. It will be a pleasure to be a spectator and to support all these fantastic runners and great people. I have a nice surprise also in Boston, with the chance to run with a colleague who I've become friendly with (virtually) but as yet have never met. Life is full of fantastic adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment