Monday, August 3, 2009

Saturday 1st August was an auspicious day - my birthday and the long run in the hills. What a perfect way to spend a birthday (that and the perfect evening later with friends and great food). A large group of us - 10 in all, including Shannon and Kate and myself - headed out on the Midland to John Forest National Park run. I wasn't sure how I would go, given that the previous week I'd done 17km on my own in Denmark and struggled a lot with the last 5km of that. But I felt fantastic. Though Park Road was tough as always, I managed to get up it without too much difficulty and certainly without stopping. What helped the run was not stopping in Midland. I find that stop really kills my momentum as you've just finished the downhill and are starting to climb. I find continuing the climb is so hard after a stop. But the run was fantastic, the company great and the scenery splendid. We spotted 4 kangaroos on the run through the forest - they stared at us before taking off. I guess they're thinking "crazy humans"! We finished as always with a coffee/tea in the bakery. It's freezing there, but somehow it always seems worth it as the conversation is so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment