Monday, May 3, 2010

Variety is the Spice of Life ...

It's certainly been a week of variety on the running front. Aside from a couple of recovery runs close to home on Tuesday and Thursday (and even there I managed to find something completely different to do, meeting David and Zoe at the park one day and doing the loop to home on another), no two runs were the same this week.

Wednesday I headed over to Shannon's place for a lovely 8km run from her house, down past Burswood and along the river, then back for an excellent coffee, chez Coates, before heading back for a busy working day. Thursday, I had the pleasure of Kate's company on my Mona's run around the river. She is amazing - she held on so well given the massive KMs she is running right now. I'll have to enjoy it while I can; in a couple of months when she's back speed training I'll be lucky to hang onto her! Thursday evening was one of my home recovery runs - a busy night at work meant no going out to play :(

After a recovery day on Friday, we got up super early on Saturday morning and headed down to Busselton to watch the half ironman (Sas, Jo, David and I on a caffeine boosted road trip). Jo and I were joining Shannon on part of her long run - she started earlier and did 14km then we joined her for the another 14km, parted ways with Jo and Shannon and I then finished off the final 6km to make it 34km for her and 20km for me. That was followed by a lovely day watching some great athletes complete the ironman. We saw many friends cross the line in fine form - I'm amazed at their stamina and great attitudes. It almost made me want to do one (almost - I still have to get over my fear and loathing of bicycles). We headed home about 3ish; not being able to stay for the after party meant there was little reason to hang around once all our friends had finished their race. So we said farewell to everyone, loaded up with more caffeine and began the long journey home. It was surprisingly quick on the way back - I suspect it was the good conversation that made the time fly.

Sunday, David and I joined the incredible distance runners in the Relay for Life. Francis had put together a team to do the 24 hour event. Most had camped over and Kate had done the toughest stint - 10pm to 4am! We rocked up at a civilized 7.45am and David did his hour at 8am. I followed, with plenty of company (funny, no one seemed to want to run with Sugar - was it the deodorant or the pace, we'll never know ...), then after a bit of fun and chats, David and I did another five laps with a bit of entertainment thrown in for good measure.

This morning's run took us back to King's Park and I have to say hills were very welcome after two days of flat running. Becks surged ahead and the rest of us - Jo, Gina, Joe, Kate, Shannon and I trotted along until the first hill, when we let Jo and Gina take off, with Joe just behind them. Kate, Shannon and I, weary from many KMs (well, Kate and Shannon weary from many KMs - my excuse is perhaps down something entirely different) dropped back a bit and trundled up the hill. But it was a gorgeous morning and a lovely run to do. As you come up the hill, the sun starts to rise and there is the most amazing view of the city through the trees. It's hard to beat that!

No comments:

Post a Comment